Friday, August 30, 2013

Roots and Recipes final draft


         As i sat down in the living room switching through all the channels on my tv, The ruckus in the kitchen made it hard for me to listen to my favorite show. I immediatly stood up and hurried to the kitchen to see what was going on. With no words said, I observed my mom bring out all the recipes as it laid throughout the whole table. Then she brought out the cutting board quickly cutting each and every carrot, string beans, cabbage,shrimp, and celary. Placing all the vegtables to the side, she brought out the fresh meat then carefully sliced it with the knife in even pieces.Instead of sitting around i stood up and started stirring the thick noodles around in different directions.
       " Mom why are you making such a humongous bowl, all for me? " I said, she giggled and said " No silly! Today is papas 70ths birthday" I sat down near the counter and continued observing my mom." Why do we always make pancit for everyone's birthdays" I asked. My mom poured the first batch of pancit in the pan then came to sit by me, " We enjoy making pancit on our family's and friends birthdays because noodles represent having long life, so on birthdays it's traditional to cook pancit so they have many more birthdays to come!"
   I was very anxious till all my family gathered together so we could feast on my moms pancit, but I was even more anxious to learn how to make this delicious dish all on my own. "When did you learn how to make pancit" I asked. " After high school when I went to college grandma and grandpa weren't there to make it for me anymore, so I wanted to keep the tradition going when one of my roommates, friends or family had a birthday I could make it for them!"
    The buzzer rang and meant that all the batches of pancit were done. I carefully grabbed each pan and placed them on the table, couple seconds after I watched all my family members rush to table as if everyone was in a race and wanted to be in first place. It was such a wonderful thing to see, Everyone smiling and demanding my mother to tell them her secret recipe for this wonderful pancit. I caught myself smiling and knew I wanted to pass this tradition down from generation to generation.
     Finally, I grabbed my bowl and filled it up to the tippy top. I took my first bite, The noodles and chicken were drenched with a million different flavors while all the vegetables were gave everything an extra taste. This dish truly makes me wish my mom could make it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment